As the Director of Crypto Investigations you’ll be the subject matter expert in cryptocurrency who seeks an exciting, long-term career opportunity at one of the most highly respected forensic accounting, investigations, and compliance consultancies in the world. You should have a genuine interest in all things cryptocurrency, including blockchain forensic analysis, investigations, anti-money laundering and sanctions compliance. Successful individuals in this field have a comprehensive understanding of cryptocurrency, blockchain technologies, analytics, and transaction tracing. They also have a deep understanding of fraud and money laundering typologies and experience conducting forensic investigations. This is an advanced level position that requires an expanded skillset in the identification of crypto asset and relevant fraud risks and threats, and the proven ability to develop and lead teams and execute responsibilities with minimal supervision.
This position will be an important part of leading the team driving the Crypto Investigations and Compliance group. The wide range of responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct financial investigations related to fraud schemes, asset misappropriation, flow of funds and corruption.
- Leverage blockchain analytics to perform transaction tracing and determine the source and use of funds and digital assets.
- Collaborate in teams on cryptocurrency topics for client engagements as well as communicate with clients and colleagues in written and oral form including drafting reports and presentations to clients.
- Provide expertise in assessing AML risks associated with crypto/Web3 business models, to align with best practice and regulatory requirements.
- Understand the predominant US and cross-border risks involving crypto/Web3 business models.
- Understand the global footprint of cryptocurrency in the key financial sectors around the world (Dubai, Hong Kong, South Korea, UK, US, etc.).
- Be very familiar with emerging crypto/Web3 trends, particularly those of non-banks and FinTech.
- Proficient understanding of BSA/AML related regulations including the ability to independently research using sources such as FinCEN/Federal Reserve Code of Federal Regulations (CFRs) and FFIEC BSA/AML Exam Manual.
- Advise various businesses with exposure to cryptocurrencies regarding AML Customer Identification Program (CIP), Know Your Customer (KYC), Customer Due Diligence (CDD)/Enhanced Due Diligence (EDD), Sanctions, and anti-bribery and corruption program requirements.
- Advise on Transaction Monitoring and Screening for AML/CFT and Sanctions compliance.
- Direct engagement teams to ensure that a data driven approach to the evaluation and review of transactional datasets is consistently applied and that investigative steps and supporting work papers are properly documented and organized.
- Work with a team on business development opportunities.
- Develop and maintain relationships with industry, service provider, and client contacts.
- Stay up to date with the latest technology and industry trends.
- Assist with building out the Crypto Investigations and Compliance team by supporting HR in recruiting and hiring highly skilled candidates.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, economics, mathematics, engineering, or related required; Master’s is desirable.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in financial crime compliance and/or money laundering or fraud investigations for financial institutions, non-bank financial institutions, law enforcement, consulting firms, or cryptocurrency/blockchain related companies.
- A minimum of six years relevant cryptocurrency industry experience.
- A minimum of three years of experience leading investigative and/or AML compliance teams in the cryptocurrency industry.
- Experience in business development is desirable.
- Experience in blockchain analytics and transaction tracing using tools such as Chainalysis, TRM Labs, Coinfirm or others.
- Chainalysis Reactor, TRM Labs or equivalent Certification preferred.
- Comprehensive understating of blockchain and DeFi technologies, the underlying blockchain architecture, and uses to include cryptocurrency, DApps, and NFTs.
- Is an expert in identifying risks, developing regulatory strategies, and executing those investigative strategies to completion.
- Strong understanding of the compliance and regulatory frameworks applicable to financial institutions with an emphasis on FinCEN regulations and FFIEC guidelines.
- Strong desire and effort to keep abreast of the latest global regulatory enhancements facing the cryptocurrency industry.
- Highly advanced ability to initiate and complete high quality reviews and investigations independently.
- Highly advanced organizational skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Expert proficiency using computer programs with the full suite of Office software applications.
- Experience working with large data sets required, and data analysis platforms such as Tableau, PowerBI, SQL or Python is preferred.
- Highly effective at building and managing relationships.
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbally and in writing, in English.
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally.